OUR HOMESTEADING JOURNEY

For our family and friends that wish to follow our adventure in turning our piece of property into a home for our children. Homesteading adventures, parenting adventures, and all around family fun.


Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Spring has Sprung… why haven’t I

 

So this is my view out of my bedroom window now.  After that funny post on FB I thought I had better snap a few pictures and get them on here… We have moved the cows to the other field and plan on putting in field fencing next week instead of the hot tape… 

IMG_0979

IMG_0980

I didn’t zoom so you could see just how far it is to the road… those two cows jumped and kicked and played when we moved them… it was so hilarious!  A couple of 1000 lb dogs… The bare land is filling in with weeds… but we aren’t going to plant a lawn until fall.  Dad says October… so October it will be… to plant the best lawn…

IMG_0981

I zoomed in on Mr. Moo… named because he does just that… Moo… A LOT!  He knows what the bus looks like when Bub comes home and starts in… and if you make eye contact… he starts in… and if he senses you might be outside to give him a snack of clover… he starts in… lol 

IMG_0984

 

T Bone wont even look up… He is out by the fallen Elderberry tree… and the pear tree/patch I need to do something with.. at some later date in life… 

IMG_0985

 

The back yard… we have so much work cut out for us… but its coming together.  I will mow it as soon as the second batch of Turkey broth comes out of the canner…

 

IMG_0988

We cleaned up the woodstove for the year…I propped my little owls that my oldest bought us on top to welcome us home!  Smile

IMG_0990

IMG_0991

There is that whole you might be a homesteader if… your egg basket sits next to your daughters kindle; the pressure canner never leaves the kitchen (turkey broth today); and while you check on the cows out your bedroom window you come back to your kitchen to refill your home made dishwasher cubes and remember you were saving seeds from the last butter nut squash you made into soup last week.   Only to look out the front window to see all your poultry playing nicely in the coop yard.  Sighhhh… Nope I wouldn’t change it for anything!

IMG_0993

After an hour of ABCMouse.com learning preschool stuff… with her bathing suit on backwards… she regressed and asked for her binky to take her nap… which she did promptly! 

 

IMG_0995

 

 

IMG_0997

I call this Russ’ science project.   You never know what he is going to grow… right now its sweet taters and yams it looks like. And some African violets need attention… lol 

 

IMG_0998

IMG_0999

So I just deleted the pictures of the seeds…  lol  but I laughed at myself as I finished the detergent cubes only to fill the bowl you see to your left with a plate full of seeds… Oh how I miss my memory! 

 

IMG_1001

 

And to finish as the canner calls and the lawnmower awaits… T-Bone grazing… In a different life… I’d live on a cattle ranch… I just love my cows… I know… there is something wrong with me… Happy Homesteading!!

1 comment:

  1. I love it! What adorable cows & chickens, and I am going to have to try homemade dishwasher detergent too!

    ReplyDelete