OUR HOMESTEADING JOURNEY

For our family and friends that wish to follow our adventure in turning our piece of property into a home for our children. Homesteading adventures, parenting adventures, and all around family fun.


Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Boys will be boys...

They keep saying its a guy thing... I guess I just dont quite understand...lol  but the fascination of gasoline and matches go back as far as I can remember for boys.  And with Russ being a former firefighter... I think pyromania is in their blood... :) 

Sunday began in a hurry to get us all to our meeting and then home to make the  best of the daylight hours we have in the dead of winter.  I was trying very hard to make our room a bedroom and the boys headed out to "do chores".  Chores consist of taking burnables to the burn barrel and lighting them off so they arent piled inside for days... My son asked if he could try to start the burnpile of wet wood... and I told him he could.  (What was I thinking???)  I "assumed"  he would light his newpapers and cardboard boxes with his bbq lighter and the wet wood wouldnt do much so he would give up when all the burnables were gone.  (Again... what was I thinking???)

Well about half an hour later... he comes in side and very calmly says,"  Mom I blew my hand up."  I replied with a," What?"  "How?" and all he could tell me was... "But there wasn't a flame."...

Making sure all fingers were still attached I told him to hold it under cold water while I got BACK into clothes and out of my pajamas I had just changed into for the evening... and hollered at my oldest to get the two younger ones loaded and ready to go... Alex hopped in as well as we drove the 35 miles to the nearest urgent care with his hand wrapped in a wet towel...

The next time I change the bandage I will take pictures of his three fingers that got the brunt of the freak accident.  The gas can literally popped over the small flame he had created.  There wasnt any fluid really left in the can... but it expanded just enough to break the gas can at the seam and give his fingers second degree burns across the knuckles. And if you ask him WHY he had the gas can?  He will admit he ignored his fahter and I from the numerous times we have told him NO to the gas can! 

So here we are three days later.  He is realizing how painful it is and how long we will call him Russell scissor hands because of how I have to wrap each finger...

2011 has began for the Benson's... and if this is any indication of how the year will go... I better hang on to my hat!  It only took two days for the chaos to take over the year!  I hope other homesteads started off quieter...

No comments:

Post a Comment