OUR HOMESTEADING JOURNEY

For our family and friends that wish to follow our adventure in turning our piece of property into a home for our children. Homesteading adventures, parenting adventures, and all around family fun.


Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Woodstove update and more…

 

IMG_0723   One of these days, I wont live in a house under construction.  One of these days…

We also finished off a few more space saver items in the kitchen…

IMG_0725 

IMG_0729

IMG_0736  It only took about three hours for things to be complete.  But it was neat to see a hole in the roof…

IMG_0739

IMG_0744

IMG_0749

IMG_0752

 

Russ with the ceremonial first fire… I just love wood heat.  My body loves wood heat, our power bill loves wood heat, and I love knowing that in the event of power outages I can cook all over this thing.   Smile 

IMG_0753

IMG_0760

IMG_0765

 

A success! 

 

IMG_0767

The bookshelf pots n pans rack.  It holds all our daily Orgeenic pots and pans.  Its opened up one whole shelf in the cupboards that I can now utilize for something else. 

 

IMG_0768

 

IMG_0769

And it looks sharp.  Below is the magnetic tool /knife bar that we put in above the stove.  Our kitchen is the hub of the family so no matter where we live its always a little cluttered in appearance.  The tool bar eliminated another tool jug on the counters which you can see are not exactly the largest in the world.  Comfy for me… and I am learning where to put things to make them more functional.  Oops… the cupboard door is open.  I am really not good at this documenting stuff.  When my kids get big and want the album of photos, I have nothing.  Really… One of these days I may try to organize something… one of these days….

IMG_0770

This should probably be an entire post in itself, but we are still getting it all organized.  So a detailed list etc. will come later when we hone in on survival gear.  But in moving in we rotated survival supplies into the new pantry to get a grip on what we need to reup in the survival corner of our lives.  A friend gets these metal boxes from her work.  Most are lined and can hold 50 lbs. of food.  So here we are rotating stock as we try to settle in… Once food goes into the containers they are labeled, dated and moved to where we keep our “to go” stash of food.  Like I said… maybe an entire blip on it later…

IMG_0773

 

IMG_0774

 

 

IMG_0775

 

 

This is my favorite room in the house.  Wherever I live, my stockpile is my favorite place to visit.  The kitchen itself has a small pantry that is for daily food use, but now that the shelves are in we have filled them with all of last years canned goods we still have on hand.  We are eager to really pack it full of things we pull from the garden.  And Danny is about the bestest friend in the world for building them for us.  We utilized the only three shelves that came with the house at the top to help with lighting.  Its only a 5 x 10 room with one little light bulb and we were afraid the higher we got with the shelves the darker it would get.  The top will be reserved for paper goods that don’t weigh too much. 

IMG_0776

I am really no good at this documenting stuff, but I am trying!  March is going to be very busy but I will try to get some of the outside so you all can see what a mess was left behind from moving in the new place.  I feel like I am starting at square one with clean up again.  I know its not THAT bad, but man… I am tired of cleaning up!!!  So until next time… Happy Homesteading!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment